As Malayalees harvesting festival Vishu is Approaching we are sharing a special Uniyappam recipe here. How can we celebrate such a festival without a traditional Kerala dish. Uniyappam is an easy,delicious and sweet snack which is usually made of rice,jaggery,banana etc. But today we are sharing an instant unniyappam recipe which can be prepared quickly and easily. This is not a conventional recipe. We are using Maida or All purpose flour instead of rice.
1. 2 cups maida/all-purpose flour
2. 3/4 cup atta ( Wheat flour)
3. Jaggery 300 gms
4. 2 small bananas around 150 gm
5. 10 cloves cardamom
6. 20 gm dried coconut
7. 30 gms/3 tablespoons ghee
8. 1 cup water
9. Oil for deep frying (preferably coconut oil)
1. Mix the maida and atta flour in a large bowl.
2. Grate the jaggery and put it in along with the flour mix. Peel off the banana and put it in the
3. Mix these well adding one cup of water to a smooth paste.
4. Peel off the cardamom cloves. Grind the cardamom seeds into a nice powder. Add it along with the
5. In a small kadai, heat the ghee and fry sliced coconuts until golden brown.
6. Add the fried coconut also to the mix.
7. The consistency of the mix should be little thick, since we are not using Appakara.
8. Heat the oil for deep frying, when the oil is hot, take small ball size quantities of the mix and
put in the oil.
9. Once the balls are golden brown, take it out from the oil and keep aside.
Hot Unniyappam is ready. Transfer them to a serving dish and garnish with a little sugar. Enjoy!!